- The premise of “Thinking for a Change,” is that to make changes to your life begins with a change in the way you think. The idea is that every habit, every action and every emotion is triggered by a thought. Your thoughts determine everything about your life. The way you think determines who you are and who you are determines what you do. Your thoughts determine your habits and your habits determine your future. People who are in the top of their industry think differently than those who are not. What I like about this book is how it guides you to change the way you think and it provides a step by step process to do it.
What I learned:
- Changing your thinking actually changes how you feel. When you learn to think differently about difficult situations, you don't see them as difficult situations but as opportunities for growth and change. This can only happen because you learn to think differently and because you think differently you actually see things differently.
- Reading new books, meeting new people and traveling to new places are great ways to change your thinking.
- Here are a number of quotes that I gleaned from the book:
- "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." -Leo Tolstoy
- "Neither Laurel nor Hardy had any bad thoughts. Matter of fact. they had no thoughts at all." -Larry Maxwell
- "People will never attain what they cannot see themselves doing." -Karen Ford
You have to take time to think. You have to find places to think. Take time to think while you're in the car, on a plane, on a bus or simply taking a walk. Use these times as thinking time, really any time can be thinking time. Thinkers solve problems.
- Finally spend time with good thinkers, read quality magazines, read quality books, listen to quality podcasts, read quality blogs and go to thought provoking networking events. The people you hang out with will influence your thinking. Remember: Birds of a feather think together.
- To grow in your thinking you have to value good thinking, you have to understand the impact of quality thinking, become an intentional thinker and learn big picture thinking. You need to realize the importance of focus thinking, enjoy the power of creative thinking and learn to become a strategic thinker.
- If you want to change your thinking you need to read “Think for a Change.” It Works!
Principles of Execution Key Concepts:
- Creative Thinking
- John Maxwell
- Thinking for a change
Share your ideas or thoughts!