The ADeXi Framework ™
The ADeXI Framework™ is a systematic process I’ve developed to help my clients consistently and repeatedly assess, design, execute and improve a best in class project portfolio management processes, and to make the most of their constrained resources and budgets. The framework is based on my 20+ years of experience in project portfolio management and is aligned with industry best practices. The framework is based on what I have observed that works in the real world, and what does not. I’ve attempted to include in the framework only elements that I have experienced that have had a marked improvement on my clients, and I’ve removed any unnecessary processes and tools that have not added value. Below is an outline of the framework.
- Design – Designing the Project Portfolio Management process step helps an organization determine the approach to create, develop or improve policies, processes, and procedures that enable change. This step ensures that the organization is change ready, and will implement a PPM process that is aligned with the organization’s strategic vision, values, and mission. This step focuses on:
- Creating a Portfolio Strategic Plan
- Developing a Portfolio Charter
- Creating a Portfolio Roadmap
- Developing a Portfolio Management Plan
- Creating the Portfolio (Technical, Process, and HR Solutions)
- Validating the organization’s Program and Project Management Methodologies
- Developing a 4 prong approach to Project Portfolio Management Training across the organization
- Executive Level
- Functional and Line Manager Level
- PMO, Program and Project Manager Level
- Business and Technical Team Member Level
- Assess - Assessing an organization’s capability in project portfolio management requires a systematic framework that you can use to define the nature of your organization’s project management processes; an approach which is objective and allows comparisons both within and across industries is required. This step focuses on:
- Conduct a PPM Maturity Assessment - use the web link below to take a free PMO 360 Assessment https://principlesofexecution.nsvey.net/ns/n/PMO360.aspx
- Conduct a Gap Analysis
- Identify Actions to Close Gap
- Develop a roadmap to prioritize actions and create a way forward
- Execute – Executing the Project Portfolio happens at the organizational level, and requires a senior level executive to sponsor or champion the implementation effort. Enacting this change is a major organizational project, and requires the first 6 principles for developing a culture that works to have been developed and established. This step focuses on:
- Implementing the Project Portfolio Management design in increments the organization can absorb. No big bang approaches; they don’t work.
- Implementing a technical environment My Favorite tools:
- Microsoft Project Portfolio Server
- Transparent Choice Portfolio Prioritization Solution
- Implementing a robust communication strategy
- Communicating the Portfolio through SMART Portfolio Reports
- Implementing a Portfolio Review Board and Oversight Committees using the RACI Chart model
- Implementing and streamline the organization’s Governance Boards and Oversight Procedures
- Establishing a re-calibration process to consistently align the portfolio with the organization’s strategy
- Improve – Improving the PPM process is like flying a commercial airliner. Once you take off, you are continuously and consistently adjusting and aligning the flight to reach your destination. Without continuous improvement, your initial efforts to implement a PPM process will eventually fail. Continuous improvement is a critical part of the PPM process. This step focuses on:
- Soliciting feedback on portfolio performance and process improvements
- Conducting additional PPM Assessments to target next level of maturity model improvements
- Monitoring and measuring portfolio performance
- Updating the portfolio processes to improve performance
- Training, mentoring and coaching the portfolio management and executive team
PMO 360 Health Check Assessment and Roadmap Development
Are you challenged with identifying which areas of your PMO to improve first? Are you struggling with identifying the quick win initiatives that will demonstrate to your leadership team that implementing an Enterprise PMO can create real strategic value, increase project throughput and deliver project benefits faster? The PMO 360 Assessment helps organizations who are challenged with these issues by capturing your PMO's As Is and To Be State and building out a road map of key initiatives that will provide the greatest value to the company in less time.
"During the engagement, Gerald quickly learnt our business processes and adopted a PMO assessment process to meet our needs. At the end of the engagement, Gerald presented a professional assessment that directly addressed the issues we were facing and provided a road map which included quick win solutions that we could act on immediately."
Ibrahim El-Araby,PMP,PMOC,CSSBB, Project Manager at EBA Engineering
Portfolio Management Professional Training Course
- Align a company's project investments with its strategic goals and objectives.
- Implement a Portfolio Management Governance program that provides guidance and stewardship over the project ideation, selection, calibration, and execution processes while establishing policies and procedures to effectively manage the company's portfolio assets.
- Monitor the organization portfolio performance.
- Track and perform portfolio management risk monitoring while optimizing the portfolio to mitigate the risk identified.
- Engage stakeholders at all level of the organization and execute a comprehensive communication strategy.
To view the course outline click here
Strategic Project Portfolio Management Consulting
Developing a culture of Strategy Execution is a challenge of many organizations and finding an implementation partner that can support not only the implementation of a portfolio solution but who has experience with helping companies adopt the business processes that enable effective portfolio management is a challenge. Principles of Execution equips organizations with the policies, processes, procedures and tools to gain the capacity and capability to achieve its strategic initiatives while managing the company's critical assets and resources through innovative and exceptional execution. These promises are achieved by:
Enhancing its client's programs and projects expertise and management capabilities, which results in increase project throughput and speed to market.
Increasing its client's effectiveness and efficiency through process improvement, which results in a reduction of operational cost to the organization.
Increasing its client's visibility in managing critical resource utilization and availability across the project portfolio environment, which results in enhanced collaboration.
Providing answers to critical portfolio questions through the development of SMART reports, which results in increase efficiency and better decision making at the senior executive level.
Principles of Execution also leverages the industry best practice methodology of Hoshin Kanri to guide its clients through cascading communication and execution activities throughout the client's organization.
Microsoft Project Server Implementation, Configuration, Enablement and Adoption
Installing, configuring and rolling out an EPM solution is only the first step in creating an organizational view of your company's project investment. Creating an EPM environment that enables global visibility, standardization across projects and insight into organizational resource constraint while engaging user to adopt and embrace the EPM solution is another challenge unto itself.
Transparent Choice Portfolio Solution Configuration, Enablement and Adoption
Enhance project portfolio management capabilities resulting in increased project throughput and speed to market.
Increase effectiveness and efficiency through streamlining your portfolio management processes resulting in a reduction in operational cost.
Improve visibility in managing critically constrained resource utilization and availability across your portfolio project environment resulting in an optimized portfolio that creates velocity in your business.
Provide answers to critical portfolio questions through better portfolio prioritization resulting in better decision making while enhancing senior executive consensus and alignment.
Areas of Expertise
Strategic portfolio management
PMO 360 Assessments
Policy, capability and funding reviews in government
To learn more click Here
Free Initial Discovery
Gerald Leonard of Principles of Execution is offering a free initial discovery assessment for new clients. To learn more about Principles of Execution services, training and coaching practices; and to receive your free consulting please complete form below. Also, please include 2 to 3 preferred dates and times to schedule your consultation and include the outcomes you would like to achieve during our meeting.